twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Visa Guidelines is back

Alhamdulillah, I got married to a lovely lady by the name of Sarah and we're enjoying our new phase in life since that momentous day.

And yeah, I graduated from the University of Nottingham and thus, escaping from the evil clutches of my medical school. woot2! probably needs a post on this as well but yeah, maybe later.

at the bottom of this blog, there is an article on visa guidelines for medical students graduated from UK medical schools under MARA scholarship who are planning to work as an FY1 doctor in the UK.

After all, it was my visa guidelines which i made 5 years ago that helped me to get to know a lot of people and for some, have now become my close friends. And it helped a lot of other people as well. So I hope that this guideline would ease your efforts a bit. Visa application is always confusing.

Scroll down to the bottom for the guideline

Sunday, February 02, 2014

4 minutes

4 minutes is the amount of time per station which me and my friends have been practising for our OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) for the past I-don't-even-know-how-many weeks. In the real exam we will have 5 minutes to show off our skills and 1 minute to present, so it's nice to practice in a reduced period of time.

And tomorrow, is the beginning of craziness.

My blue stethoscope will be with me for the OSCEs :D

It starts with National PSA (Prescribing Safety Assessment). I really don't like any of the national exams. Just because the time pressure is heightened when I face them. Heh.

The following week is the Finals #FebFinals and it begins with the week of testing our skills via the popular exam method called - the OSCEs.

And the last week is the time for our knowledge to be tested via the online system which I've grown to love and hate throughout my 5 years here.

Statistically, this is my record:
  • My current pass rate is 100% for any exams which took place outside of Nottingham. Year 3 for Clinical Practice (Mansfield), Year 4 for Paediatrics (Mansfield) and Year 4 for Psychiatry (Derby).
  • My Skills marks have always been higher consistently than my Knowledge marks with the exception of Psychiatry. The smallest margin was 1 for Obs & Gynae and the biggest margin was 39 for Clinical Practice. So you can see why I'm usually worried about Knowledge exams.
  • I have failed more Knowledge exams than Skills exams in the past.
So yeah, initially I was worried a lot on Knowledge but now, I'm more worried about the OSCEs heh.

These are my weaknesses identified by various people throughout the ACE module (final year module):
  • Lack of confidence
  • My smile
  • English as second language
But I'm not worried too much about the above tbh. Cause my smile is going to win the patients over in the OSCEs and I can fake my confidence lol. 

These are my strengths:
  • Strong empathy
  • My smile
  • Realistic optimism
I think my smile is a strength for all of the stations except the one where the patient is crying/sad, huhu. 

And these are the Finals:

Skills 
Location: King's Mill Hospital, Mansfield the 1st placement where I was taught with love and care ;P
  • OSCE 1 - 12 stations of 6 minutes each. Allowed to fail two only.
  • OSCE 2 - 5 stations of 15 minutes each.  Allowed to fail one only.
Knowledge
Location: Nottingham
  • Online 1 - 200 marks available in 2 hours. God knows what the format is.
  • Online 2 - Same as above.
Ok, that's all for now and probably until the end of Finals unless if a rebellion begins and managed to cut off the electrical supply.

And for one last time, our marks are going to be moderated by comparing our performances with everyone else's in our year which makes me feel that my medical school is a real life Hunger Games.

Till then, let's think positively and pray that Allah will guide us..as always...

0 reviews:

Post a Comment